Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Yarn Bowl Success


Today I wanted to share with you this great success that I have been having here at the studio.  Just after Christmas last year I decided to try and create yarn bowls.  I had seen a picture online and thought that I could create something similar.  It began mainly as a way to support my very large knitting habit, as I was doing trade for the yarn bowls and yarn at my local knitting shop Unwind Yarn House.  They started doing very well at the store and there was many reorders.  I then decided to sell them at some local shows as well and they were also a huge hit.  I added them to my Etsy shop and I have been selling them like crazy.  Today I received an order from Norway!  Does this mean I am an international success?  Regardless who knew that this little project would be such a hit!

It is exciting when something that you have created is doing so well.  This is something that can be difficult in pottery as may of the things that I make are very functional and for many they do not see that value in a handmade mug or bowl, rather thinking that they can buy a whole set for the same price at a big box store.  As a potter you have to remind yourself that this has nothing to do with you and what you create but rather the society that we live in.  With each purchase that I make of handmade items I hope that I am bring about small change.

No comments: