Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Little Brother's Birthday!




Today is my little brother's birthday.  The big cat is 26 years old.  It is a strange feeling to have your younger sibling getting older as it means that they really are no longer your "little" brother.  He has been living with us for almost two years and it is an experience that I wouldn't change for anything.  To be able to live with him has allowed us to become closer than we already where.  Before coming to live with us he was living in Ottawa away from the rest of us and the separation that I felt was something that at times I found difficult.  Growing up was just the three of us (Mom, He and I) and when he moved away to school I felt that we grew apart as he now had this different life away from us.  He always refers to his time in Ottawa as his 'successful runaway', a time I knew he needed to create a life and find the person that he was outside of us.  When he decided to come home, Paul and I opened our arms and doors to have him stay with us.

I am so grateful for the time that he has been with us.  The relationships that he has with the kids is amazing!  Sam loves his Uncle Ton and in those first few weeks after Lily was born he bounced on the ball to stop her from crying when I was sure I couldn't do it another moment.  The spirit and energy that he brings to our home is amazing.

With only the two of us I think that he and I have a special bond that is unlike anything else that either of us will ever have.  He stood next to me as my bestmaid at our wedding and he stands next to me everyday.  He is my best friend and I am so blessed to have him in my life and the life of my children!



Happy Birthday Buddy!

No comments: