Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Nothing New for a Year

I have been wanting to write so much as of late, but I wanted to post for the lessons to remain at the top of the page as my website is down and we are having trouble getting it working again.

The new year has invoked a lot of thought here at our little house.  We joined in the One Small Change movement and so the idea of challenging ourselves and the way we think and the things that we use is swirling around our heads.   I have also been touched by the things that I have read out there in blog land.  The things that people are creating out there is amazing, not only handmade things for their families and others but the lives and intentions that they are creating as well.

As a result Paul and I have decided to not buy anything new for a year.  2010 will be a year of minimizing our impact on the environment and searching and understanding the things that we really need in our lives. While the intention has started off as one of material objects I can see this turning into something so much more.  We set out our parameters as there are a few things that we needed to think about.  When it comes to safety we will buy new (bike helmets, lifejackets, carseats), also Paul has a very professional job and so if he can't find something that the second hand stores that will fit the part then he will buy new clothes for work (this was a concern of his as I have gotten him some very nice designer clothes from the Value Village... shhhhh!)  We also decided that we would buy materials to make things as well (yarn, wood and tools) because it is also important to create things ourselves as well as support those that do as well.

I am excited about this and where is may take us.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have thought a lot about trying this with my family, and I decided to try a month of this to begin with, just to keep it from being overwhelming. I look forward to reading how this goes for you