Thursday, July 15, 2010

Truthful Tuesdays (or Thursday this week)

This is our T.V.  Remote and 6 out of the 7 days of the week it is my best friend.  

I understand all of the benefits of not letting the kids watch T.V and I have heard every angle as to why homes should be TV. free but this Mama is not capable of such selflessness.  I need to be able to take 20 minutes and breathe and know that the kids are sitting quietly.  I need a shower, to change the laundry, to make dinner without little arms pulling on my legs, I need to not hear my name being constantly called.  I need to use it as a bargaining tool if I need it and for a little boy who no longer naps, he needs it stop moving and just sit and relax.
It is not a free-all on TV. there are only certain channels that he can watch and there are many times when I say the dreaded No to watching, but I use it when I need it. I used to be really upset with myself for making this decision.  I had in my mind exactly how I would parent and how wonderful it would all be. (I think I had an image of the Sound of Music in me head, lots of singing and happiness)  While there is lots of that there are also lots of tough days and reality days.  On those days the TV Remote is my best friend.    

No comments: