Tuesday, September 7, 2010

#40 - Walk Sam to his first day of School. Let Go and Trust

Today was the milestone day of the first day of school.  We have been talking about it all summer, planning and preparing for this day.  We got the lunch box, the backpack, and talked about all the things we would put into the lunch.  We finished our last day at "Little School" last week and I was teary as I have loved Grace Church Day Care so much.  The caregivers love the kids like their own and Sam loved them so much.

Today he awake with great excitement.  They had a staggered start today and so Sam didn't go until 10:40 which made for a long morning.  I didn't want to get everyone ready too early but I didn't want to be rushed incase Sam needed some time to process things as they got closer.
With everyone ready we took the first day of school picture on the front steps and off we went walking to school.  He suddenly became quite and then asked if I would be coming into school with him.  I said no that it was just a time for him to meet the teacher and some new friends.  He then asked who would help him peel his banana?  My heart skipped a beat.  Up until now he has always had the security of knowing that I would be there to do these types of things.  I told him that the teacher would help him if he needed it but I was sure that he would be able to do it.
Once at the kindergarden yard he was shy and stayed in the wagon for a second.  I watched at my little guy looked at the new world he was able to step into.  I got down close and told him that today was going to be a great day and he was going to be o.k.   He waited a second and then said he was ready to go in and with that he stepped through the gate, I let go of his hand and trusted that my little guy was going to be o.k.  I knew that I had done all I needed to do to prepare him.
I walked away with many tears in my eyes but the smile on his face was worth a thousand words.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to Go Sam!!!
What a big boy you are.
Goodluck with all your new friends and the many new adventures you have ahead of you!
Love, Jay,Crystal, "the girls" & "the boy"
Way to go Jamie & Paul you should be soo proud!
Jamie, you brought tears to my eyes reading this...brings back memories.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this blog, Jamie. Sam, we are so proud of you!
Lots of Love;
Grandpa and Gigi!
xoxoxox