Monday, April 11, 2011

How to Make Pottery at 31 Weeks Pregnant

With this being the last week of the studio before creating something smaller for me I was really starting to get into the slow motion of things.  The cleaning out, organizing and gifting that has been happening over the past few weeks has creating a sense of calm.  Then at the last minute I received an order from a long standing and faithful customer. 
How I was I going to fill the order?  I had been told a few weeks ago from my chiropractor that throwing on the wheel was no longer an option for me.  That the position that I needed to sit at the wheel was putting pressure on the pelvis and creating not only the pain I was constantly feeling but also uterine constraint (not good for baby positioning)
So we tried something new.  Throwing while standing.  
We took the portable wheel and put it on the table and it was just the right height for me to stand at the wheel and throw.  
What a strange feeling when I have sat in the same position each and every time I sit down to throw and create.  The first few pots I had to think about new positioning and hand movement, but after that I was off to the races.  
The order dried in no time and is in the kiln for a bisque fire. 

No comments: