Monday, April 26, 2010

Day Job

It is the beginning of a new week and therefore back to parenting by myself.   Maybe this is not fair to say as Paul is here he is just at work and therefore I am home with the kids.   Being home with my children is what I have always wanted and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I think that maybe the reality is that it is a far more difficult job that any 9 - 5pm office job.  I never leave, get my two 15 minute coffee breaks or a half hour lunch.  There are no raises, no vacation time, no sick time and sometimes is can go a long time before you hear "You are doing great!"
So sometimes (like this morning) I am a little sad that Paul is back at work and I am here working alone.  There is something about having him here on the weekends that makes is easier, more fun and relaxing.  It is not like he plays with the kids all weekend and I am off doing my own thing having the weekend to myself.  I am still in the thick of things as always, but I have someone to help me when I get Lily's diaper off, realize it is filled to brim and I forgot to get a wet cloth.  Someone to have one eye on one so that my eyes are not on both and this allows for me to focus on what is going on in front of me, rather than having both my eyes being pulled in different directions.  Or maybe it is simply having an adult to talk with.

There was a time when I couldn't wait for him to go back to work every Monday so that I could get back to my routine without him getting in the way or not helping and making me more irritated than I already was.  Time and more children has changed us both.  Our last birth experience brought us closer together than I think we are even realizing still, and mainly I have mellowed out.

I better get back my 15 minute blog break is up!

1 comment:

Lora said...

Mondays are always crazy. The transition day from weekend to "normal" week. The kids are always a bot crazier, there's always more to do and always less energy to do it! Enjoy your Tuesday !