Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grounded in the Earth



Today we celebrate Earth Day.  A day to remind ourselves to savour and bless the planet we enjoy so much.

To celebrate this day in January I join in on the challenge at Hip Mountain Mama and decided to make One Small Change each month leading up to Earth Day.
~ In January we decided to walk when ever possible to pick up Sam from Pre-School.  On those days that it was too cold we planned our other errands around picking him up so that we didn't make another trip out to get him.
~ In February we started using Family Cloths rather than toilet paper.  I made them out of old receiving blankets and put them in a little basket on the back of the toilet.  Not only did we cut down on the use of toilet paper, but baby wipes and paper towels as well.  Everyone seemed to be grabbing for these clothes.  ~ In March I had big plans!  I was going to make lunch bags for the boys.  There would be not more plastic bags for snacks and sandwiches.  I was going to make produce bags for the supermarket.  But I got Mastitis and spent a great deal of time healing.  We cut down on plastic but not as much as I had envisioned.
~ In April I knew that with the Mastitis and having to slow down my breastfeeding with Lily that my cycle would return and I no longer wanted to use disposable pads.  So I grabbed my copy of Handmade Home and started to create a few prototypes of the Mama Pads.  I had a few different ones that I am going to try as well as order some from Homestead Emporium.

Now Earth Day has arrived and I don't want the challenge to end.  The changes that we have made have been amazing and have allowed up to look at the ways in the which we over use and abuse the planet that has given us to much.  So we are going to continue to challenge ourselves to make One Small Change.  What if we all took one small step what kind of great things could we create?

1 comment:

apples with honey said...

I heard about this challenge a little too late and didn't realize it was ending on Earth Day, but still want to make the changes!
I got some great cloth pads from a girl on Etsy (from Burlington, Ont)...they were a bit spendy, but really comfy and great quality...I on;y got to use them twice before getting pregnant again though! HA!
Good for you making a difference and Happy Earth Day(a little late)
e.