Wednesday, June 2, 2010

#42 - Find a Recipe Book I Love



During my blog reading I had read about Apples for Jam.  Many other Mom's are cooking from it and singing it's praises.  I figured that with this many people using it as their go too book for great family food, that it was something that I needed to check out.

I struggled with purchasing it at first as the CAD price is $45.00 and I was unsure if I was going to like it or not.  I had borrowed, and purchased many a recipe book only to find a few recipes that could possibly fit into our life.  I wanted something that had good whole foods, easy to follow instructions, meals that would be quick to make and that the kids would want to eat.

After receiving a book gift card for my birthday I decided to take the plunge and get the book.  I have been loving it ever since it arrived.  The moment I took it out of the box I was in cooking love!  The recipes are easy and simple, may of them having less that 10 ingredients in total.  We have been cooking and cooking.   I knew I was in love the moment my picky food husband gobbled down a meal that had many things that he doesn't care to eat and declared it amazing!

This book had brought about a new relationship with cooking and food for me.  I was getting into a space where I hating cooking.  I was making food with little purpose or meaning and therefore everything was tasting terrible.  Food preparation time was stressful and it created a meltdown by someone in the household each and every night.  Now I am excited about what to cook out of the book each night.

The book is arranged by colour and so we are currently working out way through red.  With Rhurbarb and strawberries coming into season, and the staple of tomatoes at our house red is our color of the moment (it is also Sam's favourite color of the moment)  With summer veggies right around the corner I can imagine our new color to be Green.  I am so excited to cook my way through the rainbow!

No comments: