Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The First Sweater of 2011

This week I finished the first sweater of 2011.  It is the Shalom Pattern (ravelry notes here). I have knit it once before but it was too small for this Mama's body and so like everything that I knit and is to small it goes to my much smaller than me good friend.  This time I grabbed some bulky wool and decided to up the needle size hoping to create a fast knit that would fit this growing body. 
 See my cute little 18weeks belly. I love how it turned out much longer, it covers my bum and I love thinking of all the ways I can wear it.  The short sleeves allow for it to layer for covering it up and to wear into the warmer months of spring.

This I imagine in the first of many sweater for 2011.  I already have a bunch on the needles as well as lots waiting to be cast on.  After sitting down and counting I knit about 15 sweaters or dresses in 2010.  Some might call this an obsession but each stitch last year has a tale to tell.  It was a stitch in love for someone else, a stitch in quiet meditation, a stitch of distraction, a stitch of peace, a stitch of calm, or even a few stitches obsession.  Knitting means so much more to me than just another craft.  I started knitting when I was postpartum with Sam and it has carried me through many moments since then and I am sure it will carry me through many more.  

1 comment:

L.J. Lowe said...

it is truly beautiful. you make me want to learn to knit.