Monday, February 21, 2011

Glaze Mixing Weekend

One of the things that I like least about being a Potter is Glazing.  There are so many different elements involved in this part of the process that if one was to sit down and think about them all one may choose not to be a Potter.  There is first the decision on what colors you want, whether to make them yourself or buy them commercially, and how much research into new and original color you want to do.  So far there hasn't even been any talk of actually making any glazes yet!  


When I first started the studio I decided that since I really didn't know ANYTHING about chemistry and I thought I would buy them commercially and then mix them up myself.  Sounds like a great idea, except super expensive!  So then I decided to try my hand at mixing and making my own glazes from recipes.  O.k. not a bad idea but a lot of trial and errors in the kiln and on pieces.  Not so great when you are either trying to sell stuff or it is on student work.
So in the end I have a mix of commercial glazes that I can count on as well as some of my own that I know may not work 'all' the time but at least when they do turnout it is amazing.

At the end of the last lessons in the fall I let the glaze run out knowing that I would have make all new ones in the Winter Session.  I thought that I would just make all new batches and we would be all topped up and ready to go for the Session as well as Production for the one Spring show.  Seems like a good idea, except I had not mixed that many glazes all at once before, so it took all weekend to mix all 6 glazes!  Many breaks, and a very fine mask on for safety, it is all done and completed.  Feels good to have it all done. Now on to the fun part of putting the color on!

No comments: